BSD alternatives, user-end applications
Here are common BSD, other non-proprietary, and select proprietary licensed equivalents for common user-end application needs. Many listed programs are for desktop applications.
Science and Math
- math/sage GPL replaces Matlab, Mathematica, Magma, Maple
- databases/sqlitebrowser - graphical SQLite database
BSD style desktops/window managers with BSD/MIT/ISC/Apache compatible licenses. Primary dependencies are BSD based.
- x11-wm/ctwm twm extension
- x11-wm/cwm Calm Window Manager is OpenBSD's default window manager
- x11-wm/dwm uses c programming language for custom desktop configuration
- x11-wm/fluxbox is based on x11-wm/blackbox which was developed for FreeBSD
- x11-wm/mcwm based on ctwm, evilwm, tinywm
- x11-wm/spectrwm tiling window manager. based on dwm and xmonad
- x11-wm/wmfs floating and tile window manager
- x11/lumina desktop built for FreeBSD, it uses fluxbox and relies on the qt toolkit
Port management programs with minimal dependencies and MIT/BSD style licenses.